Saturday, January 20, 2018

Ich bin ein ... Shitholer

Technically, trump and his white supremacist enablers did not refer to my old country with the "shithole" reference.

It does not matter to me.

As MLK observed:
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.
It is also the same emotion that JFK reflected when he stood with Germans and proclaimed his solidarity with them.

Of course, this president, thanks to his 63 million enablers, has been on a rampage against a lot more than shitholers.  It is a long list. A very long list.  Injustice defines his every waking moment and tweet, it seems.

I will join the people who will take to the streets all across the country.

Protesting on the streets is not really my thing.  I am a professorial pamphleteer.  I write balanced commentaries.  I am a subversive professor in the classroom.

But, these are extraordinary times.

So, despite my discomfort with crowds, slogans, jingoism, and everything else, I will be out as a citizen who immigrated from a shithole.

Source

No comments: