Thursday, October 05, 2017

We have flown into the cuckoo's nest :(

While watching yet another segment of yet another late night comedian severely critiquing the fascist and his allies, I told the friend that I was getting more and more agitated.  Politics, which was to me the theatre of the absurd that entertained me more than troubled me, has now become a stress agent in my life.

Many of us knew well that this was bound to happen with this thug who was elected by 63 million.  But, I was confident that I would ride it out.  Wrong I am.

Soon after the election, this NY Times piece said it best:
[trump]  is, in a strange, meta way, a spectator of his own performance. For the next four years at least, we are living in a TV show that Mr. Trump is simultaneously starring in, consuming and live-tweeting.
A few months ago, this essay in Foreign Policy noted about "the impact of the shift to All Trump, All the Time News" that "is making it hard to focus on much of what might otherwise be worthy of our attention."
we need to tear our eyes away from the spectacle of this clusterfuck of a presidency and its daily dramas and periodically look up and out to our horizons, recognizing that the narcissism aside, there remains real greatness in America that needs tending, planning, and nurturing in the context of the real world — even if, at the moment, there is very little evidence of that greatness at the center of our government.
That was back in March, which seems like eons ago in trump time!  Like billions of people all around the world, I too have been unable to shift my eyes away from the "clusterfuck of a presidency and its daily dramas."  The result: I feel like I cannot take this anymore, even as I know well that it has not even been one year into his four-year term!

At least television shows have commercial breaks when we can rest a while.  No breaks whatsoever with this "All Trump, All the Time."

Late night shows that used to do silly comedy routines now have no time for silliness.  It is "All Trump, All the Time."  Initially, the laughing was therapeutic.  But, increasingly, it is obvious that even the show hosts are plainly angry.  They are even weepy.

Dinner conversations quickly turn to talking about the fascist thug and his people.  In the classroom, students seem to be referring to him without naming him.  It is no longer about I'm mad as hell and am not taking it anymore, but I am exhausted as hell and can't take it anymore!

Yet, I fully understand that I don't have a choice either.  I cannot afford to not fight back and resist.  I wonder how Gandhi and his people kept it up day after day.  Or how MLK and the millions kept at it day after day.

Maybe this stress and exhaustion will be the route to nothing beyond 75!

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Ha Ha. Here are a few suggestions to detoxify yourself

- Start taking an interest in the politics of China. For the next 30 days write posts exclusively on China
- Read War & Peace again
- Take 2 loops of the Willamette instead of one.
- Take a holiday to Burkina Faso (there's a word outside the US, you know :):))
- And then come back and watch John Oliver. You need a Brit to show you guys how to do a show :)

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, John Oliver has carved out a niche for himself, with 20 minutes that are focused on a topic. He, and all the late night show funny people, have become activists like crazy. And another advantage that Oliver has: Because he is on HBO, he can let loose words like "fuck" without bleeping it ;)