Friday, September 29, 2017

It is all foreign to me ...

One of the many benefits to flying halfway around the world and making myself a home here in the United States is this: Over the years, I have had meaningful interactions with people from all over the world.  There is no doubt whatsoever that this has made me a better person.

Look at some examples that I have even blogged about:  Kugan from Sri Lanka. Siddiqui from Pakistan. Shahab from Iran. It has been a wonderful learning experience.

And there is a lot more to learn.  One life ain't enough.

Consider the Uighurs.  Yes, I have blogged about them too (like here.)  It was wonderful to have an Uighur student in class, who kept in touch with me for a few years even after she graduated.

Something new pops up all the time, even about Uighurs.

First, look at the person in this photo:

Source

She could be French, right? Or Spanish. Or Persian.  Or Turkish. Or even an Indian.  Yes?
"In France, people spoke to me in French, thinking I was French," she says. "In Italy, they spoke Italian to me."
And she is ... Uighur model Parwena Dulkun.

Yep, a Uighur.  Which means that she is Chinese.
The only country where she isn't mistaken for a local is her own.
"In many Chinese cities, people think I'm a foreigner," Dulkun says, giggling.
She uses these moments to educate her countrymen.
"They try to speak English to me, and I answer in Mandarin," she says. "Cab drivers always turn around and ask me what country I'm from."
She says she smiles proudly and concludes her lesson by announcing: "I'm Chinese."
She giggles, while many others might get upset at being mistaken for a foreigner in one's own country.

While politically it has not been good for Uighurs to be under the Party, the world of commerce apparently cannot have enough of them--as models!

Xahriyar Abdukerimabliz, a 19-year-old model from Urumqi, says:
"Not to brag, but we are very good-looking," he says. "Our facial features are naturally attractive. We've got great eyebrows, big, beautiful eyes and double eyelids that weren't created by a surgeon."
Abdukerimabliz blinks, revealing his naturally creased eyelids. More and more Chinese are undergoing surgery to create a crease in their upper eyelids that about half of all East Asians are born without. Abdukerimabliz's "double eyelids" are topped with striking eyebrows, a long nose and expressive eyes that look either Asian or European, depending on his mood — or pose.
The market system, like god, works in mysterious ways! ;)  Which is also something that I learnt in graduate school, after getting rid of my commie colors in the old country. ;)

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Central Asians are , in general, very beautiful or ruggedly handsome. You could have put a picture of a Kazakh or a Tajik or an Uzbek and you would have got the same result. Except that they would not have spoken Chinese. You can see quite a few Central Asians in China as they come to trade and do business. I can mostly spot a Central Asian although I cannot tell a Kazakh from an Uzbek or even from a Turk!

If the Han didn't repress the Uighurs, they would gain immensely as a country. They will understand the virtues of diversity, tolerance and learning from each other a bit more.

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, there are beautiful and handsome people all over the world, except when I am looking at the mirror ;)
Kidding aside, yes, in every travel I have always been impressed with that too--good looking people. I chuckle when magazines pronounce the most beautiful person, as if they scanned at all the 7.5 billion before concluding that way!

Yes, here too China is losing a lot when it does not allow diversity. Awful!