Friday, January 27, 2017

It is fucking politics!

George Carlin made us all laugh and think with his seven words routine.  Remember that?

That was entertainment.  That was comedy.  But, that was also subversive dissent.  It questioned censorship.  "Question authority."

I had no idea about Carlin until I reached these United States, but I have always had in me a rebellious, questioning attitude, though only as a polite fellow.  As a teenager, I was not much of a fan of swear words. Even well into adulthood, I didn't care much for harsh language.  I was confident that questioning authority did not require language that was not parliamentary.  And that is how I operated even until very recently.

But, now we are in unchartered waters.  Over the past year and a half, the fucking demagogue has so ticked me off that in this blog and on Facebook I find that the less than attractive words that I hated using are the only ones that truly describe the man and his ideas.  Like the word "asshole."  I hated that word.  It was so harsh to my ears and eyes.  Now, I am grab that word to describe the horrible human being in the Oval Office.

The political discourse has been transformed.  It is not just me.  Even the former president of Mexico, Vicente Fox, has been dropping the "f" word for a long time in his tweets against the fuhrer's campaign slogan of the wall.  He has been using a hashtag on Twitter: #FuckingWall.  Like in this tweet:
Former president Obama and his wife consistently walked and talked "when they go low, we go high."  Turns out that it fucking did not work.  A principled approach works only against an opponent who respects the truth.  For instance, M.K. Gandhi's non-violence and civil disobedience was successful only because the British bastards had a little bit of decency left in them.  If Gandhi had tried that against Hitler or Stalin, he would have disappeared the next second, and Attenborough would never have had a reason to make an Oscar-winning movie!

My point is this: The demagogue has been consistent not only from the time that he launched his campaign but all through the birther years as well.  He does not care for the rules according to which political discourse is handled.  He has been fucking with us for more than eight years now.  Going high appeals to my core beliefs, yes.  I would like to live by that golden rule, yes.  But, it will be one disastrous outcome if this fucked up demagogue and his minions win even more than what they have.  And win big they will if we do not come to terms with the reality that they fucking do not care about playing by the rules.

Question the fucking authority, dammit!

3 comments:

Ramesh said...

Pip Pip.

Thou shall not defile the Queen's English. A mere stiffening of the upper lip is enough to convey displeasure.

Under extreme provocation, you may, but only rarely, resort to the following

- A sigh
- A discrete cough
- An aside to the person standing next to you - its rather chilly in here
- a remark that "they are somewhat colourful across the pond"
- tell Mrs Peabody that "The Earl of Langton Castle would not be pleased"

Toodle oo

Sriram Khé said...

Well ... for now, I am done with the foul language. It is really not me ... But, I might fall off the wagon again ;)

Unknown said...


Khe,

Why are you scared of publishing my comments.
Just want to live in your own echo box ?