Tuesday, September 09, 2014

A man does it standing up, a woman sitting down, and a dog on three legs

It was only after the event, when I analyzed within, that I was reminded of how much some practices that I systematically learnt have now simply become a part of who I am and my instinctive and reflexive behavior.

At the friend's place, another (female) friend was leaving and I automatically walked ahead and held the gate open.  A simple act, but one that provides me with enough and more to ponder about the world.

As I continued along this self-analysis (note to myself: stop analyzing!) I was reminded of my recent visit to India.  After a lunch meeting with high school friends, as we were exiting the building, I waited for the (female) friends to exit before I followed suit.  "Oh, a gentleman" one remarked with a smile.

Of course, like you and everybody else, I was not born with instructions such as holding the door open coded into my brain.  I learnt this behavior.  But not in the old country.  There, all I had observed during my growing up years was that women "followed" the men.  It was a less than equal treatment of women, which always made me highly uncomfortable and angry on many occasions.

Exiting the old country was not to lead a life of an Indian in a new setting.  Nor was it to ditch the old country and adopt a new persona.  It has, instead, been a glorious experiment to try to combine the best of the two worlds, and to avoid the worst in both. (Though, of course, some result in humorously awkward situations too, like this one.)  How I relate to women is, thus, a product of this cultural fusion.  The old country's traditions certainly did not teach me to hold the door for women.   

A couple of days ago, I was at a gathering with the friend.  We were sitting around the dining table.  A much older couple were leaving and as the woman neared me, I stood up to say bye to her.  "You don't have to stand" she said with a smile.

In the old country, I didn't know about the standing up either.  After all, back then women did not even sit and eat together with the males.  This is one of those that I picked up with living here and from the travels.

But, America is a strange place, too, with uber-casual interactions.  
My mother is big on politeness. Recently, before a long trip with my girlfriend’s family, she wrote me a letter outlining the things I should remember to do: stand up straight, hold open doors, and rise when ladies approach the table. “I could go on and on,” she wrote, wrapping things up. “Just please reread the etiquette book I got for you in highschool.”
I did not reread the etiquette book. I trust my own sense of decorum, particularly while on vacation; I’m good at vacations. I’m also a thirty-one year old financially independent human who has lived several time zones away from my mother for over a decade. But a short time after returning from that trip, my girlfriend and I moved from the city where we’d met and spent our entire professional, semi-adult lives, to a different one, across the county, and I wished I had reread it. I’ve come to realize that the thing about moving to a new city and meeting lots of strangers who might, eventually, become my friends—or people I have only interacted with on the internet but are kind of friends there—is that no one knows how to greet anyone anymore.
This is a uniquely American problem.
It certainly is uniquely American.

BTW, in all my life in the old country, I certainly did not know about what I am alluding to in the title of this post.  The title is nothing but a funny way in which I was once taught about etiquette.  The humor in that comes from when you ask somebody, "what does a man do standing up, a woman when sitting down, while a dog does when on three of its legs?"  Almost immediately we might smile thinking about peeing.  But, of course, that is only a trap--it is about shaking hands: a man stands up to shake hands but a woman does not have to.  And, of course, a dog extends its paw with its other legs on the ground.

Another day in my autoethnographic rumination! ;)

6 comments:

Anne in Salem said...

Etiquette is important but seems to vary by situation and age or generation. I would never dream of calling my parents' friends by their first names, but my friends want children to call them by their first names. I have an etiquette book from the early 1940s which is an interesting read from a historical or cultural perspective. Two important aspects of etiquette that have all but disappeared now but required chapters then are chaperones for unmarried women and mourning.

Relative to women doing it sitting down: I have met a lot of people since starting my new job. Every woman has risen to meet me, and I have risen to meet every man. I think it is an sign of equality. Women used to shake hands sitting down and frequently give limp-wristed finger shakes. No woman in the business world would be taken seriously with such a posture or weak handshake, unless she had a lot of money.

Sriram Khé said...

Oh, hey, the "rules" at work are different from those in social settings. At least, that is how I operate. The post was strictly about social settings. (But then do I "socialize" at my work? muahahaha)

As for addressing by first name, I have always asked kids to call me by my name. No formality. Even back from days in India. I have never cared much for the implicit power play there ... I want people, kids too, to respect me for who I am and not because I am an older person ...

But, yes, the norms of interaction change with time ... which is also why senior-citizens have quite a bit to complain about the "kids these days" ...

On mourning ... it does bother me that people do not sincerely mourn the passing of the near and dear ... I suspect it is because we are a lot less concerned about death than people were in the past. As you know from my posts (that piss off Ramesh; where is he anyway!!!) I consider death to be one of the most important aspects of life, and mourning is a phenomenally profound way in which we can appreciate life itself.

Ramesh said...

For the nth time, completely agree with Anne. I was going to sarcastically comment that your naughty title indeed referred to peeing because no woman would shake hands sitting down in any setting today !!

Sriram Khé said...

Ah yes, yet again I am a neo-traditionalist.

I suspect that most of us men are afraid where the line is between being a gentleman versus being a male chauvinist. Similarly, most women are also having trouble sorting out how the feminist and equal participation translate to social interactions.

Kalpana said...

Proud of your Mom in a country where mostly women are taught how to behave. When I grew up, I was never allowed to sit or talk amongst Men. My colleague at office once told me Men should never bring tea for women when I asked him to get me a tea from pantry when he went for break ( I used to get him when I went). I asked him why and told him that we both were equal as we both are educated and work in the same company at same level. He agreed and did bring tea for me. I demand my rights at home and in the society! When I went to Sweden there were men who opened doors for me, waited until I got out of the lift. They made me feel proud. They were certainly Gentlemen!!

BTW I never knew women shook hands sitting, I was curious when I read the title ;)

Sriram Khé said...

So, after I blogged that, yesterday there was this post at Slate, in which the question was whether it is (un)gentlemanly to open door for a woman. I like a point he makes there:

" The whole idea of manners is to increase ease, and you certainly want
to avoid contorting yourself into an awkward obedience of the letter of
social law that thereby violates the law’s spirit"

Essentially, etiquette is about making social interactions easy--and we don't want to follow "rules" especially when they are condescending to others.

At the university, if I am walking by the door and see a young female student coming, I hold the door for her. But here is the deal: I hold the door if a young male student is approaching too. Perhaps I am imagining, but it always feels like the female student has an extra warmth in her "thanks" more than when the male student says that.
Notice that both the genders say thanks.

What gets me, and Kaplana too apparently, is how women in India are, more often than not, treated less than equals. Even when they are in the professional world. That used to be the case in the US too ... the US also has some ways to go, and India has much longer ways to go.

Good for you, Kalpana, in taking the time to explain to your male colleague about him bringing tea for you ...

BTW, I am holding the comments door wide open for you to say more at this blog ;)