Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Your favorite guru was what yesterday?

Over the weekend, in a conversation with the friend, I recalled the saying in the old country, "ரிஷி மூலம் நதி மூலம் ஆராயக்கூடாது (do not try to trace the origins of sages and rivers.)  The idea is that in both the cases, the origins can be quite unimpressive.  Or worse in the case of the holy men and gurus who actively peddle their "wisdom"--their past can sometimes be darn ugly.

In the contemporary world, with the Indian diaspora far away from the old country, there are quite a few gurus who sell their merchandise to those of Indian and other origins and--this is where the old saying came in to the conversation--many of them might have quite some blemishes in their past.  Like with this cult leader guru, for instance.

A day later came this email from the friend after re-reading Paul Theroux's "Africa's Aid Mess" in which he quotes Thoreau:
A rich white doctor in black Africa is a study in high contrast that puts one in the mind of the gallery of role models: Tarzan, Mr. Kurtz, King Leoplold, Cecil Rhodes... The overlords, the opportunists, the exploiters, the visionaries, the hunters, the care-givers, the baptizers, the saviors... Seeking a kingdom of their own, if not an empire. Henry David Thoreau believed that all such outgoing people had something discreditable in their past that through giving they wished to expiate.
I loved that phrasing: "something discreditable in their past that through giving they wished to expiate."

I am so thankful that I do not blindly chase after false gurus.  In fact, I joke that I have enough materials within me to market them to the gullible and live the life of money, sex, and drugs--like how that notorious guy from India lived in Oregon.  But then I am a dull, boring person and I merely blog! ;)

There is a huge difference between appreciating profound ideas, understanding them, and applying them to our lives versus appreciating, adoring and worshiping the messenger of those ideas.  The messenger rarely is faultless and clean, and even then to celebrate them when they are alive is a huge risk--we mortals err, and for all we know the human we adore today could be tomorrow's axe murderer.

Take the case of Khalil Gibran--a figure that I have quoted often, like here.  As much as I like his mystical thoughts, well, I knew enough not to worship him.  Because, like most mystical thinkers, Gibran, too, was a fraud in his personal life.
Most of Gibran’s life, as it emerges from these biographies, seems to have been spent in tête-à-têtes in stifling Boston drawing-rooms, or at not very successful New York private views, where the talk was usually of the Higher Life of the Mind and the special responsibilities of the Poet. In time, books like The Prophet made Gibran a wealthy man (Waterfield notes that his early contempt for money softened somewhat in later life). In his last years he took to drinking heavily and he died of cirrhosis of the liver.
"something discreditable in their past that through giving they wished to expiate."  Lovely phrasing Thoreau's is, right?

From the New Yorker

4 comments:

Anne in Salem said...

Perhaps the Thoreau quote applies to the Duvaliers and Keating in their donations to Mother Teresa (from your prior post) and the NBA's Sterling in his donations to the NCAAP. Obviously, Thoreau stated it better than I in my comment. And caveat emptor seems to apply to anyone seeking spiritual guidance from a living being. The need for due diligence seems obvious, but perhaps when one is desperate, one will grasp at anything.

Ramesh said...

Agree and disagree with your post (as always ?)

Yes, no mortal needs to be "worshipped". Blind faith is a lazy excuse for not thinking and analysing through (even if the object of the analysis is faith). Its a safety blanket is an uncertain world - outsource your thinking to somebody else and blindly follow him. Not my cup of tea by a long way.

However that does not mean I should not deeply regard or respect a person. So what if he was a rogue or has "something discreditable in the past". I care two hoots. If a particular view or act appeals to me, I will heartily welcome and appreciate it, even if it came from Donald Sterling. If a lot of views or actions of a person appeal to me, I am ready to deeply regard this person (not worship), irrespective of chequered past - after all who is perfect.

Regarding the message is important, sure, but I will regard the messenger too if a substantial portion of his message resonates.

I'll offer one evidence of this. I warmly respect a certain Prof in the great state of Oregon, because I have a lot of regard for most of his views, despite disagreeing with a fair few and I am willing to overlook whatever is "discreditable in his past" :):)

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, Anne, the gurus certainly know how to tightly embrace those in desperate situations and, before they know it, they get completely sucked in :(

As for you, Ramesh, yes, go ahead and make Donald Sterling your personal counselor. I am sure he will appreciate your brown skin and accent ;)
Sure, I am not squeaky clean--I once stole a book from our school library. A novel by Edgar Wallace. I think I sneaked that back in, if I remember correctly. Or, at least, I meant to!

Ramesh said...

@Sriram - You did THAT ??? Now I have to reexamine whether to "worship" you :):):):)

How is it that pulling your leg gives me unmitigated and unmatched joy ??