Friday, March 28, 2014

We were young and sure to have our way

Life unfolds rapidly as we transition from the teenage years into adulthood. It speeds up even more as we live the life of adults with work and family and friends.

We look at ourselves in the mirrors and photographs. Rarely do we look anything like the youthful people we once were, and we imagine we are even now.

It hits us that time has sped by.

We wonder then what ever happened to the friends we used to hang out with when younger. The ones with whom we played backyard cricket. Went biking with.  Discussed movies and girls.  We wonder and worry whether life turned out well for those old friends who broke our young romantic hearts.

Reunions, thus, happen.

Two years ago, when I met with a college friend, after nearly 28 years, he offered me a profound perspective.  "As long as both the old friends have always wanted to reconnect, I am confident that they will meet again. Here we are."

Perhaps he is right--it is difficult to reject that conjecture when he had offered such an evidence.  I wondered then whether I would ever get to meet with a couple of other friends.  On the other hand, if that conjecture is true, then it would mean that I am completely off the mental radars of many?

What a delightful surprise it was when a few weeks ago I got an email, "Remember me?"

How could I not remember?  When did I ever forget?

A flurry of emails.

And in one, an old friend wrote, "Looking forward to the reunion!"

The last few years have been about reunions. Re-connecting all because of the shared memories. Memories of laughter and crying. Of dreams and despairs.  Of people we liked and hated.  Every reunion thus far has been phenomenal. This one, too, would be special.

We met. We talked. We laughed.  We got caught up. With our own stories. With stories of the people we knew. "What happened to that good looking guy?" I asked about one.  "And the guy who had a car with a hand-cranking sunroof?"  I remembered that because a sunroof was so rare back when we were in graduate school.  "Who was the girl who coached us to sing Chuu kar mere man ko at the international night" I asked.  I had questions in plenty, and they had a lot more to ask me too.

We talked about the people whose lives had ended even before they could become empty-nesters. The fragility of life is all the more why I have always wanted to re-connect with the old and valued friends, for there might not be a tomorrow.

And, of course, we ate.



"It is like a dream you were here!!" texted one friend after I returned home.  Another wrote, "It was great seeing you and I am glad you are back in my life."

My thoughts, exactly.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Very nice. College reunions are a different flavour from school reunions. Delighted that you had a good time reconnecting - of such pleasures is life made.

Presumably the redheads were there in force !!

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, it was awesome.
No redheads in CA :(