Saturday, March 08, 2014

I am not a contrarian. Irreverent is the word!

During graduate school, I was a student intern at a public agency.  Right from the first day there I knew I would not survive in such environments. But, of course, life is one cruel joke after another, and I ended up working for another public agency for more than five years before I returned to academia.

Even on that first day, I was reminded of a comment a graduate school professor made about how he became a libertarian.  It was all because of the summer internship he did at the Los Angeles County government when he was an undergrad.  After one day, I could certainly relate to him, though, even now, I am not a libertarian, but a Democrat who leans that way.

Anyway, a couple of weeks into my internship, during a discussion with my supervisor, I presented a view that was not what she apparently wanted to hear.  "I noticed you are a contrarian" she remarked.

The lowly intern that I was, I did not want to correct her that I was not taking such a stance because I wanted to argue but because what she claimed was wrong.

The irreverence--towards people and false ideas alike--is also why I think I naturally gravitated towards the likes of Christopher Hitchens.  Though, I had always wondered why he chose the title of "contrarian" for his Letters to a young contrarian. His questioning of accepted wisdom was not as a merely debating strategy but because to him there was no sacred cow.  It was sheer irreverence. Who else would have gone after Mother Teresa like how he did!

As Hitchens notes towards the end of the interview,which is when Charlie Rose gets to the book itself, living that irreverent (or contrarian) life is living a life, as opposed to having a career or a job.  It is truly who we are that we live.  And, yes, Hitchens, too talks about leaning towards libertarianism.

I would think that when in pursuit of truth, we naturally become irreverent. The progress of science has nothing but been one instance of irreverence after another.  In the old days, when irreverence was religious blasphemy, heresy, well, a philosopher like Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake.  While irreverent explorations in science are no longer questioned, irreverence in the pursuit of understanding social aspects is far from tolerated, as the recent controversy related to Wendy Doniger's The Hindus demonstrates.

The academic world is no different from the rest of society.  As long as one holds hands with the rest and sings the preferred version of Kumbaya, then all is well.  There is no place for the irreverent, which is a complete contrast to the idealized version of academe that I had in mind.

But, hey, I never set out to win the popularity contest anyway!  So, today's question: whom should I piss off? ;)

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Piss off nobody :)

Well, there are two types of contrarians in my view.

One is the contrarian of ideas. He genuinely believes in a different view, He has original thoughts and simply lets them lead him whichever way - if they are in agreement, so be it. If they are contrarian, so be it. You fall into this category. I have high admiration for you lot.

Then there is a contrarian who wants to be a contrarian, because he wants to be so and not because his ideas led him there. These are the people who present only one side of the argument, refuse to consider any other point of view and generally delight in creating a storm. These are the people who piss others off. I have no time for this lot.

Sriram Khé said...

Ahem, for the second post in a row, all I want to say is THANKS!

And then I want to add more ;)
Yes, my hope is that I am in the first category you refer to. I have absolutely no patience for that other category. Not one bit.

So, here is the funny (well ...) thing: at work, for instance, if my first-category thinking is "contrary" to what is the accepted wisdom, then it is off with my head. On the other hand, if my thinking favors their cause, then it is like, hey, I wish more people heard what you said, or read what you wrote. I have no patience for people in this selectively open to thinking mode ...

The bottom-line: I have very little patience for a great number of people around me, present company excluded, of course ;)