Monday, February 24, 2014

A day in the fifth stage of a man's life

If all the world is really a stage, then there are also costumes that go with the roles we play.  Today it was black trousers, black shirt, black shoes, and a necktie.



Wearing a tie to work always draws a comment or two. I was ready with a couple of responses.

Sure enough, one student said, "looks like you are coming from a funeral, Dr. Khé."

Later, another student poked his head in and was pleasantly surprised with my outfit. And wanted an explanation.

"I have two that I can offer. Which one do you want? Option A, or Option B?"

"I'll go with B."

"If I get fired, all I have to do is remove my tie and take up that waiter job."

"Ok, what's A?"

"I am the Indian Johnny Cash."

"I like A" he said with a chuckle.



On my way back home, I had to swing by the grocery store to buy coffee. Else, I faced the horror of waking up to drinking decaf!

It was the chatty one at the counter. I knew she would have plenty to say about my attire. After all, it is very rarely do I ever go to the store in my work clothes, and that too with what I had on today.

"Do you always go so handsome to work?" she asked with a grin on her face.  "I wouldn't have known you even have such clothes."

I laughed.

"A coffee emergency, which is why I came here straight from work."

"Oh, good. I thought you had a night job or something that I didn't know about."

I laughed again.

I reached home.

I changed into a different costume for the next scene.

And now, I have to rehearse my lines for tomorrow's act.

 If only life always happened the way we script them out!

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Enjoy the remaining days of the fifth decade, dressed up or not !!

Who's that handsome guy in the photograph again ??