Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Finding the direction in our lives ...

A decade ago, when I went to Dubai, I noticed that the table in the hotel room included an arrow that pointed in the direction of Mecca.  I suppose in Dubai or most parts of the Islamic world, there is always an explicit, or at least an implicit, orientation towards Mecca.

We have similar orientations in the secular world, too.  Artists, stereotypically, seem to be always oriented towards Paris. This city is their Mecca, even if the Eiffel Tower is not their Kaaba.

In The Summing Up, Somerset Maugham writes about his first experiences in Paris when he was a young man, struggling to create a life as a writer.  From the continent, and from across the channel, writers and painters and dancers and everybody seemed to converge on Paris.  It turned out that much later in life, Maugham didn't find Paris to be the charming and alluring place it was to him when he was young.  But, I would think that Paris did give him a frame of reference.

A neighbor has a similar Paris-orientation. Well, to all of France.  The artist that she is, it is an annual trip that she makes to that part of the world.

The Dordogne ... yes, I was there!

I wonder if that is her pilgrimage, as much as going on Hajj is to the devout Muslim, and like how I go on my own travels that are pilgrimages in the sense of how much they let me understand my place and purpose in this world.  We all do what we can in our own ways in order to get our bearings and to orient ourselves in the correct direction.

A couple of evenings ago, when the sun was shining, I saw this neighbor heading to the river.

Bonjour, madame, I yelled out from my front porch.

Without looking towards me, and not even pausing to wonder who said that, and almost as a reflex, she replied, bonjour, monsieur.

And then she turned towards me and said something that sounded like "bzz bzzz bzzzz bzzzzz ..."

"Hey, I used up all the French I know when I said bonjour, madame."

"That's all you need to know and say, really" she replied with a smile, as she continued on to the rivière.

A little after that, an old friend swung by to have coffee with me. After six years.

The coffee I brewed, and the eats were from the store:
salty plantain chips, pound cake, and amaretto cookies

A lot has happened in those six years.  C'est la vie!

Looking back, I am relieved, more than anything else, that over those years I didn't my lose sense of direction in life. My Mecca, my Paris, and my everything, are all within me?  Merci!

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Very true. The places each person cares most about and goes to are indeed his or her pilgrimages. The list can go on to more prosaic stuff - Chennai for Carnatic music, Lords for cricket, Serengeti for wildlife, Willamette for amblers ........ :):)

I have a pedantic question for you. If you are in the Pacific at the antipode of Mecca, will a devout Muslim turn East or West - have to ask a Geography prof that !!!

Sriram Khé said...

Yep. And this is one of those examples where I deviate from the militant atheist, who would be uber-critical of the religious pilgrimages. To me, whatever the practice is, religious or secular, they help us with that wonderful insight into who we are as humans, and how do we, therefore, relate to other humans and everything else on this planet. I might, and will, disagree with many of the lessons learned via a religious experience, of course. But, it is for every human to explore ...

Haha ... that question is not for a geog prof--you need to ask the imam!!! ;)