Thursday, January 09, 2014

Are we there, yet?

Life is always full of surprises.

As I walked towards my seat, I noticed that the business class was full.  Not an empty seat.  Maybe this is why I no longer get those free upgrades anymore--at least, I can console myself that way!

We left the gate on schedule. I decided to watch a movie even as the plane was taxiing.  Enough Said.  Turns out that the movie title was apt was for the rest of the journey too!

As we neared what should have been close to the takeoff stage, the pilot cleared his throat.  I bet most of us in the plane immediately knew that we were not taking off. Some technical glitch, which required that we taxi back to a gate whenever one opened up.

No point fretting and fuming, I decided. Apparently that was the thought that the other 300-plus also had.  Even the kids didn't make any noise.  I had never before seen such a calm and disciplined crowd.  Life is always full of surprises.

I continued on with the movie, about which the title says everything one needs to know.  The engines revved, giving me hope. A few minutes later, the pilot's update--more time needed for repairs.

I was done with the movie, and walked about in the plane. Did some stretching routines. More than two hours had passed and it continued to be a quiet crowd, other than the occasional chattering, especially on the cellphones. Mighty impressive!

The pilot had good news and bad news.  The good news was that all the repairs had been completed. The bad news was that the delay required a change of crew and we had to wait for the new personnel.

Thus, it was four hours after the scheduled time that we took off.

I would miss the connecting flight. And going home would be at the mercy of the air schedule gods.

After we landed and collected our bags, the voucher in hand, I waited for the ride to the hotel. Along with a whole crowd. The temperature display read 30 degrees. It was windy too.  Most of us were shivering because we were not prepared for this.  Life is always full of surprises..

A shuttle came and my suitcase was one of the many that was loaded up. As I was getting ready to board the bus, a woman approached. A gentleman that I like to be, I let her get in.  When I boarded the bus, there was no seat--the woman had taken the last seat. I figured I would stand during the short ride to the hotel.  A few others boarded after I did.

Life is always full of surprises.

The bus driver scanned the inside and asked the standees--including me--to get down because it was against the law to exceed the licensed capacity. So, it was back to the 30 degree cold and the wind.

Next time, no chivalry. No gentleman attitude. I should simply push grandma away and keep going.

Well, that is not me!  I am a born loser; no surprise there! ;)

4 comments:

Ramesh said...

Oh - you had one of those awful journeys that airlines always serve up as a delicacy. Even by hardened traveler standards , yours was awful.

There's absolutely no point in yelling and shouting. Stoically waiting like dumb cattle is the only sane option with airlines.

I am delighted I don't have to fly much anymore :):)

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, you are lucky that you don't have to fly much anymore ... very lucky!!!

gretro said...

Hey Sriram,
I was reminded of a Chennai college slang for your situation...:)

"Machi periya BULB aaa..."

Definitions here:
http://yakpad10.blogspot.com/2004/10/tamil-slang-native-to-chennai.html

-Subash.

Sriram Khé said...

BULB? Haha ... something new every day ;)
I am familiar with "machi" though :)