Saturday, December 07, 2013

Being an activist without hurling bombs. Without yelling. It is easy!

Even before I got to college, I had a mental image of college as a hotbed of political activism.  I had a good reason to imagine that way--a cousin of my father's had even gone "underground" during his college years as a Naxalite.  It was all part of the family discussions when growing up. Thus, politics being a keen interest of mine meant that I was all pumped up for it.

It was a shock to then discover for myself that there was a lot of political activity on college campuses, but they had no intellectual basis to speak of.  It was simply dirty, rotten, politics where it seemed like students were fashioning themselves after the dirty, rotten, scoundrels we had as politicians.

So, no activism for me.  Well, except for one tiny bit about which I will write some day.

Coming to the US was wonderful for this aspect as well.  Practically every single day it seemed like there was some student group or the other championing some issue and seeking volunteers or passing around petitions at the USC campus.  As an "alien" I could not sign on to petitions that sought political intervention.  But, I joined in--always the curious fellow I was!

One of the movies that was screened on campus was Cry Freedom.  I went to watch it with my apartment-mate, who was also from India.  While I was aware of the apartheid regime in South Africa, I had not known anything about the black activist, Steve Biko.  Some of my graduate school mates seemed to know more about him, and they were critical of how the movie was about the white journalist than about the black activist.  Finally, I had a place where I could engage in the intellectual aspects of the causes that students were active about.  This was heaven!

Students did not want USC to have any investment portfolio ties to South Africa.  Divestment was the chant.  And when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, and Bush wanted to kick Saddam back to Iraq, I distinctly remember joining the students, and faculty too, protesting against the war preparations.  I was still worried that perhaps as an alien I ought to keep a low profile and not get into anything that can get me deported. (Much later in life, after I became a citizen, in responding to an op-ed of mine, a reader suggested that I self-deport!)

These days, I often wonder why students do not seem to be intrinsically motivated enough to protest.  There are, after all, plenty of things to protest about.  I worry that the youth are becoming either too obedient to authority, or are way engrossed in the different ways technology now provides instant gratification.  Student activism is, for all purposes, now dead in the US.

I, of course, continue to be an activist.  Rarely explicitly, however, which is why the supposedly "activist" faculty, who even led the charge to excommunicate me, falsely conclude that I am one of those establishment guys.  Little do they know me as one ardently subversive activist!  As Azhar Nafisi noted,
SOME ASSUME that the only way academics can engage the politics of the day is by coming out of their ivory tower and protesting in front of the White House. But in conveying knowledge, the academy has a far more important and subversive way of dealing with political issues. Knowledge provides us with a way to perceive the world. Imaginative  knowledge provides us with a way to see ourselves in the world, to relate to the world, and thereby, to act in the world. The way we perceive ourselves is reflected in the way we interact, the way we take our positions, and the way we interpret politics.
Curiosity, the desire to know what one does not know, is essential to genuine knowledge. Especially in terms of literature, it is a sensual longing to know through experiencing others—not only the others in the world, but also the others within oneself. That is why, in almost every talk I give, I repeat what Vladimir Nabokov used to tell his students: curiosity is insubordination in its purest form. If we manage to teach our students to be curious—not to take up our political positions, but just to be curious—we will have managed to do a great deal.
The other day, I told a student that it felt like I had made a couple of students think.  "That's what you want, right?" he replied with a smile.

Indeed!  And I want more of them.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Student activism is dead everywhere. Otherwise the antics of the NSA won't pass with such muted reaction in the US.

I suspect the revolutionary zeal has died down everywhere in favour of individual wealth creation. Everything else be damned as long as I can make money - the cry from USC to Tsinghua. Who are we to say that is wrong - especially as students everywhere start with debt, have diminished hopes of the future and have high demands of life.

Activism , at least of the shouting variety, can be left to old foggies such as we. Sorry; such as I, for you still are dreaming of the strapping 20 year old - Ha Ha Ha.

Sriram Khé said...

I had to Google to find out where Tsinghua was--from the context of your comment, I figured it was a university. But, like a typical American, I knew nothing about it ;)

It is even worse--the youth not only aren't protesting against the NSA excesses, many of them are even ok with it. Which completely shocks me.

I am often reminded of Ray Bradbury's brilliant insight in his Fahrenheit 451--writing in the early 1950s (1951???) Bradbury imagined a future in which the walls at homes are massive television screens and people are happy with the entertainment all day long. The government systematically encourages it too, because if people thought they always got unhappy. Which is also why any book found was immediately treated as the worst WMD ever and was burnt right away.
Every term, in the intro class, I end up talking about Fahrenheit 451 in some context. And, sure enough, it is no longer a required reading in high school ...

You can, therefore, imagine how excited I get if I manage to get at least two students to think ... maybe I will email you a compilation of a couple of students' responses from a senior-level class this term ...