Friday, March 29, 2013

This could be your last day on earth!

Unlike yesterday, there were a lot more people on the bike-path.  Of all ages.  Kids too. Many as couples and groups.  Thus, throughout the walk, it seemed like I was constantly changing the radio stations and listening to bits and pieces as I walked past people.

Some of those made me think more, while the rest were, well, not worth blogging about!

I passed a young mother, with a packet of Camel Lights in her left hand and a cell phone in her right, walking a step behind her blond-haired four-yearish son.

"When we reach home, you want a cheese sandwich, dear?"

I was tempted to say, "no thanks!"  But, what if she got upset instead of laughing?  I kept quiet as I outpaced them.

"No. Not today" said the tyke.

Back in my younger days, I doubt that my mother would have given my such choices.  I would have eaten whatever she gave me, and wouldn't have dared to say no to her either.  At least, that is how I imagine my four-year old self to have behaved.

"Then, what should I make you?" the mother asked.  I was out of earshot soon and have no idea what the kid said.

It was a wonderful coincidence that almost right away I passed an older gentleman walking and talking on his cellphone, and I heard him say--no, yell--this: "You are fat because you eat a lot of food."

OMG!  Don't people have any sense of what not to say in the public?

There was a pause--I suppose he was getting an earful.

"But, the stomach is not a hole to fill up" he replied to whoever it was at the other end.  OMG is an understatement!

For a while, I was not bothered by humans.  I heard a woodpecker somewhere knocking his beak against the wood.  The geese were extra loud.  It was as if the animals too decided to be as loud and obnoxious as that old man was!

A family of three were leaning against their bikes and looking into the distance.  It was a bald eagle up on a tree.  I kept walking, however.  One needed binoculars to get details on that bird, and there was no fun without.

A few minutes later, that family passed me.  The father in front and the mother a cycle-length behind.  Both their butts were overflowing out of those narrow seats.  I wondered whether the bikes would simply collapse under their weights.

As the son passed me, he yelled: "Daddyooo ... we have to stop"

"Why?"

"I have ladybugs on my glasses."

I passed them yet again.

I was over the bridge.  It was the final stretch home.  Two women were walking in the other direction and slowly their voices became louder and louder as they neared me.

".... that this could be your last day on earth."

"Yes, life is so fragile."

"Which is why ...."

I felt like turning back and walking behind them in order to find out how they were planning to spend this final day.  Which is when I heard, "do you see that bald eagle on top of that tree?"

It turned out that the guy on the bike with his feet firmly planted on the ground was talking to me.  With people on cell phones, and that too with all those fancy bluetooth devices, it is difficult anymore to figure out whether a stranger is on the phone or talking to me or is simply crazy!

"Yes, I did, when I was on the other side" I replied.

I paused because he seemed to want to engage me in a conversation.

"It flew over my head when I was on the other side" he said.

I noticed that he was missing quite a few teeth, but he wasn't that old either.  It was quite a shock.  Perhaps the lack of medical insurance?  Or, perhaps from bad habits?  Both?

"What a wonderful day" he continued.

"Yes, and will be like this for another four or five days, I hear."

And then the nerd took over.  "But, we have to pay a price for this.  We haven't had such a dry winter in over 120 years."

"I can imagine that.  I grew up about forty miles north.  When I was a kid, we had lots more rain and snow.  Not anymore.  Things are changing."

"Yes they are.  But, we will enjoy the good day" I said as I started walking.

I have no hassles if it turns out that this was my last day on this planet.  It was a good last day!


2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Spring is certainly in the air. Two wistful emotional posts in quick succession.

I dare say, as a four year old, we never ever got a sandwich. Almost certainly curd rice :)

Like the sections on fat asses !!

You are, by the way, dead wrong, on the last sentence (pardon another bad pun) No way, No way ..... Thankfully the new day has dawned, and its time for another post !

Sriram Khé said...

well ... don't expect too many of these kinds of "life" posts--soon it will be back to the policy issues ;)

Yes, I suppose we would have been offered curd rice and we would have gladly had it.
Funny story, that we laugh about even now: when my brother was, oh, maybe 7 or 8, he wrote in big bold letters on a sheet of paper "idli dosai down down" and stuck that sheet on the kitchen wall ... :)