Monday, February 18, 2013

Do yourself a favor: feel sorry for yourself!

A colleague stopped me in the hallway last week.

"I forgot to tell you" she said.

"About what?"

"I wanted to tell you about a performance in Seattle.  It was not the Mahabharata, but the other one."

"You mean the Ramayana?"

"Yes, that one.  But, now it is too late--it is over."

"They are both amazingly complex stories with plots that crisscross, and with characters that are so well developed" I replied.

I loved those epics.  Phenomenal works of literature from centuries ago.  What I read were mere re-telling; I can easily imagine that the works in the original will be quite a treat for those well-versed in Sanskrit.  The Mahabharata, which I prefer a tad over the Ramayana, was Rajaji's version that I read and it was one gripping page turner when I read that as a kid.

Of course, those are more than stories to the true believers.  For the atheist me, as much as I draw lessons on life from a Hemingway or a Tolstoy, there are many wonderful lessons I could draw from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.

One of the words of wisdom that appealed to me, especially when I have to resolve issues within, is this advice from the Ramayana:
आत्मानमनुशोच त्वं किमन्यमनुशोचसि ।
आयुस्ते क्षीयते यस्य स्थितस्य च गतस्य च ॥
- रामायण, अयोध्या

You should think (and feel sad) for yourself. Why do you grieve for others?
Your life gets eroded everyday irrespective of who stays with you or leaves you.
- Ramayana, Ayodhya
It is not crass selfishness that is being referred to here.  But, a deeper understanding that life is finite, and that the passing of every second, every day, is also one second, one day less from whatever that finite number is.  And, therefore, it is up to each and every one of us to contemplate on what exactly it is that we want to do with our lives.

But, mere mortals we are, and we worry about the small stuff and about others.  But, hey that is also what makes us human!

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Are we that alike ??? I read Rajaji's Mahabharata too first and I prefer Mahabharata over Ramayana too.

Do you remember Pulavar Keeran's discourse which used to be a rage in Neyveli at that time. I can still quote his words and imitate his mannerisms.

Sriram Khé said...

Yes, I remember Keeran's lectures ...
You remember once I remarked that literary-cultural life seems to have evaporated in the daily middle-class lives in India? This is an example, though in this case he wasn't merely doing a literature piece as much as the religious one ... but, to me, all these were a package. From Keeran to even Karunanidhi's wonderful insights into Kannagi in Silapathikaram, to the awesome serialized stories in Kalki and Vikatan to political and social commentaries in Thuklak ... and then Khushwant Singh at the Illustrated Weekly, and MJ Akbar and ....

well, not that I want to sound old and talking about the good ol' days, but when I visit India, there is very little anymore along those lines. Movies, cricket, and TV have simply sucked everything else dry, it seems like. The magazines are atrociously tabloid ...

Here in the US, I feel like I am constantly surrounded by such stuff ... NPR, C-Span, BookTV, the New Yorker, and ....

What happened to India over the 25 years????? ;(

BTW, you can imitate Keeran? You? I have a tough time imagining it; will buy you dinner just for that show ;)