Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Opening in Bangalore. No, not a call center. Krispy Kreme!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. has come to India, opening its first outlet Saturday to a queue of people in Bangalore’s restaurant-lined Church Street. ...
Krispy Kreme has entered India through a franchise agreement with Citymax Hotels India Pvt. Ltd., the hospitality division of Dubai-based retailer Landmark group. Citymax has obtained franchising rights to develop 80 Krispy Kreme stores across south and west India over the next five years. 
Reports the Wall Street Journal.

I do not think that my friend, Ramesh, who lives in Bangalore, was one of those waiting in line; wait a sec, is that the reason why he has been offline for a few days now? :)

Why Bangalore?
Bangalore was the first Indian city to have a Kentucky Fried Chicken, way back in the mid-1990s, and also saw the first Indian Taco Bell open its doors in 2010. Both are owned by Yum! Brands Inc.
Great, the American dream can now happen right in India.  

The dream, that is, to eat junk food, whose caloric math befuddles even the best scientists because somehow a few ounces of these foods translate to a few pounds of fat around the consumer's belly!

I have lived that American dream. Yes, ma'am.

From Wikipedia
Oh, I have had some sweet loving affairs with Krispy Kreme doughnut donuts.  Those are strictly affairs--every once in a while, when I am traveling in a city far away, I sneak into a Krispy Kreme and caress in my mouth a warm and soft glazed donut that is a fresh virgin off the production belt.  The pleasure is prematurely intense.  Almost always, and despite my age, I am immediately ready for another.  And I do.  I then exit the store with my American-ness re-confirmed.

I think the last affair I had was this past summer, during the road trip down to Southern California.  The sinful act will resume this April :)  

No comments: