Sunday, September 16, 2012

James Bond turns 50. The movie series, that is.

The Guardian reports:
Some of the biggest stars from the James Bond films are to take part in a golden anniversary celebration of the series.
Former Bond Sir Roger Moore, Richard "Jaws" Kiel and Britt Eckland, who played Mary Goodnight in The Man with the Golden Gun, will carry a gold case containing the first box set of all 22 Bond films on Blu-ray as it travels the length of Britain in 007's Aston Martin DBS.
 Wow; fifty years of "Bond. James Bond."

It all started with Dr. No.

Especially the thing about the Bond girls :)



If that sequence feels familiar, well, the Bond girl in that similar outfit was re-done:



I was a tad late to the James Bond party, because in the small town where I grew up I don't recall any Bond movie being screened at the only movie theatre.  Thus, it was as a college student that I watched my first Bond movie, and the first Bond girl.  I then quickly caught up with the past, and then was in step with the new ones.  A couple of years, I recall that Thanksgiving evenings were at the multiplex to watch the latest installment in the series.

When I was new to the country, as I was rapidly becoming familiar with all things Americana, I watched re-runs of several television shows, including "Remington Steele."  And often wondered why that dashing, smug, British guy couldn't be James Bond.

I was, therefore, excited like a five-year old at a candy store when Pierce Brosnan did show up as Bond.



It was a wonderful update to have a female boss in "M."  And Judi Dench at that.  One of my favorite scenes from the movie is not to be found on YouTube--Minnie Driver as a Russian singing "Stand by your man" :)

A few years ago, a Father's Day gift was a partial collection of James Bond movies--clear evidence of my fascination for Bond.

I am not sure if I have transitioned into the Daniel Craig as Bond era.  There is no special adrenaline rush knowing that the next Bond movie is only weeks away. 

Even worse?  I don't even care to find out who the Bond girl will be in that movie.

Perhaps it is all a sign that I am getting older? 

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Ahhhh - James Bond should have actually been retired about 30 years ago. Current day wannabes are not even worth a look.

No No No to a female M. Can't we long for the day when political correctness was not required and we could all be loud MCPS :)

Can anybody replace Sean Connery ? And of course Ursula Andress as Honey Rider