Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cartoon of the day tests whether I have a sense of humor!

First the cartoon:


Hilarious!

But, apparently not everybody loves such humor.  Some find, gasp, offensive, writes the New Yorker's cartoon editor:
But offensiveness, like love, is in the eye of the beholder, and there are enough eyes eying The New Yorker that even cartoons that seem innocuous can trigger outrage.
But, .... how can anybody possibly be offended with this cartoon?  Oh well ...

I have always enjoyed humor and satire.  Even the cliched ones--for instance, if somebody comes up with a new twist to the cliched cops-and-doughnut theme, I will chuckle.  Italians and the mob, I will laugh.  Indians and snakes, I will smile.

But, I have problems when the joke is said with ulterior motives.  Though, this is easier a problem to deal with than when people laugh at them for the wrong reasons--one of the major reasons why Dave Chapelle quit the comedy scene.
So, if I detect such ulterior motives, then the serious side of me comes out and I might then choose to make pointed remarks.  Once when I did, a faculty colleague wrote back to me (while copying a few others):
Some people have no sense of humor.
I am sure students in my classes will find that remark about me to be hysterically funny :)


No comments: