Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hot chicks! Moms also looking great!!

It doesn't surprise us in Eugene that clouds have started rolling in as if to make fun of our plans and desires to watch the ring of fire.  But, clouds or no clouds, it was too good a spring day not to walk by the river and take in the sights.

And, what sights they were!

I had barely walked five minutes on the path by the river when I spotted a huge gathering of geese and goslings.  The last time this happened, I was so mesmerized by the sight that it didn't occur to me to take photos until it was way too late.

"Not making the same mistake today," I told myself as I immediately reached out for my camera.


I stood there watching the birds for a while.  Two large women on bicycles stopped by to check out the chicks.  I couldn't but wonder how they managed to get their rather large behinds on the tiny bicycle seats, and yet they did as they pedaled away!

I continued walking.  And more chicks.  The mother goose (technically, a goose can only be a mother, when the male is a gander, right?) looked up at me as if waiting for food to drop down. 

Perhaps the birds have come to treat humans as food providers because quite a few continue to feed the birds despite signs advising people not to do that.  If only humans would learn--story of our lives!


When the birds realized that I wasn't going to give them anything to eat, perhaps they were disappointed like how some students get when they realize that I never cancel classes :)

So, they took off and almost right away fell into a straight line formation.


No more chicks to drool over, and I resumed walking. 

The grass seed pollen levels were certainly getting to the unhealthy side--my eyes were beginning to water, and my nose and throat were getting itchy.  But then I kept going--allergy be damned!

Which is when I noticed new graffiti all over the signs.  The chicks didn't do that.  Stupid humans did.  Whatever compels these psychopaths to engage in such destructive behavior?  Why can't they simply enjoy watching the geese and the ducks and the turtles and the herons?  I suppose a stupid is as a stupid does!


And even worse, their grammar sucks!


Oh well; the awful grammar is the least of the worries!

1 comment:

Ramesh said...

Lovely. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

Like ranting, quibbling is another favourite pastime of the blogger. So let me quibble on a matter of earth shaking importance - well; a mother can only be a goose, but a goose need not be a mother :)