Monday, April 23, 2012

One in two college graduates jobless or underemployed

If only people would listen to me, is what I end up thinking whenever I read reports like this one.

It is awful to read about real life examples like "Kelman Edwards Jr., 24, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., who is waiting to see the returns on his college education":
After earning a biology degree last May, the only job he could find was as a construction worker for five months before he quit to focus on finding a job in his academic field. He applied for positions in laboratories but was told they were looking for people with specialized certifications.

"I thought that me having a biology degree was a gold ticket for me getting into places, but every other job wants you to have previous history in the field," he said. Edwards, who has about $5,500 in student debt, recently met with a career counselor at Middle Tennessee State University. The counselor's main advice: Pursue further education.

"Everyone is always telling you, 'Go to college,'" Edwards said. "But when you graduate, it's kind of an empty cliff."
 What can be worse?  Well, ...
Edwards, who has about $5,500 in student debt, recently met with a career counselor at Middle Tennessee State University. The counselor's main advice: Pursue further education.
 But, of course!  Yes, more education.  I shall refrain from using my favorite metaphor here to describe how the education industry is run :(

Meanwhile, the presumed GOP presidential candidate has his own answer to why college grads are in this awful mess.  What is this guy smoking?  I bet his solution is more tax cuts!

No comments: