Monday, May 23, 2011

Kafka's "The Departure" is a metaphor for higher education :(

This is the first spring term in a while that I have not shared with my classes Kafka's wonderful short story, "The Departure."  I wonder if it is because I am slowly giving up fighting the screwed-up higher education system.  I hope not.

I was reminded of that short story when a student, "S," came to my office to chat about a few ideas related to her academic work.  In the course of the conversation, "S" tells me that she is completely disillusioned with the whole higher education.  All through high school, she was advised to prepare for college, where, she was told, she would be able to discover herself and her passions by taking a whole bunch of courses.  But, after taking all those courses, "S" now thinks that she could have been doing all that reading by herself, even as she was flipping burgers for a living.

"S" added: "I don't think this self-discovery is worth the $70,000 investment.  If they want us to discover ourselves, then the general education should be free.  Now, I don't care.  All I want is to get the diploma and then move on to find out what I want to do."

I felt horrible listening to "S" because I know her from her freshman year, and she was one highly inquisitive, energetic, sincerely-doing-the-homework, student always with a wonderful smile.  And, through the coursework, it appears that we have simply sucked the life out of her, instead of helping her find her own distinct path towards her future.

Now, all she wants to do is jump through whatever hoops she has to in order to get that diploma and get the hell out of college.

I am willing to put every penny I have (I have only pennies!) to support my view that "S" was articulating what a significant majority of students feel.  Is this what we want to achieve through higher education?  After all the time and money invested in it?

If that is so, then I feel like I am nothing more than the corrupt police constable in India, who might let a car go through only after collecting the bribe.  I am now one of the many constables who force young adults to pay up so that they can move through the lines?  Really?  How awful!

Anyway, we end up in a situation where most students are like "S," who just want to get the hell out of college.  "So, what is your career plan?" I asked "S."  I was not at all surprised when she replied "I don't know. I guess I will figure it out soon."

Which is why I am reminded of Kafka's story, "The Departure."  As you read it, you will see why.  And, you will also see why, in the past years, I have shared this with students in the spring term, as graduation talk fills the air.
The Departure
by Franz Kafka
I ordered my horse to be brought from the stables. The servant did not understand my orders. So I went to the stables myself, saddled my horse, and mounted. In the distance I heard the sound of a trumpet, and I asked the servant what it meant. He knew nothing and had heard nothing. At the gate he stopped me and asked: "Where is the master going?" "I don't know," I said, "just out of here, just out of here. Out of here, nothing else, it's the only way I can reach my goal." "So you know your goal?" he asked. "Yes," I replied, "I've just told you. Out of here--that's my goal."
Hey "S," good luck; I wish you well.  Sorry the system and I let you down.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

could you elaborate on it please?