Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The travelin' man ... and his classmates? :)

In an earlier post, I wrote about how much, it turns out, my high school classmates have traveled all over the world.  One of them, apparently lived a life of island hopping from one island to another for many years, from Seychelles to Micronesia to Polynesia ... and now to Fiji ... As I was driving later, and thought about Polynesian islands, my mind kept going back to Ricky Nelson's "The Travelin' Man"



My first trip abroad was to the US.  It was from here, at the end of my first year, that I went to Venezuela.  During this trip that my fellow-grad students (I can't recall their names, except two!) introduced me to Belafonte's music.  His "Sweetheart from Venezuela" is a classic indeed.

The song that we did sing often was, of course, Belaftonte's "Banana boat song"

No comments: