Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Remembrance of things past: high school ends :(

This March, it is 30 years since the final class XII, CBSE, exams ended.

I recall "Alaigal Oivathillai" as the defining Tamil movie of the year, with a whole bunch of songs that seemed to be at the loudest volumes at every street corner.  Wikipedia says that the movie was released in 1980, but ... perhaps my memory is faded.  Or, maybe like we instruct students, hey, don't trust Wikipedia :) ...



Anyway, as I think back now, I realize now that I had intense pangs about leaving the town and school, which had been my world throughout my entire life until then. I was barely a month past turning 17 when the exams were all over and I had no idea how to express in words my anxiety that I might never see most of my classmates again.  It was much later in life, when I watched American Graffiti for the first time that I was even able to package all those high school leaving emotions into something understandable as one of the important milestones in one's life.



Thirty years!

I recall watching a movie in Bangalore, where a bunch of us went to take some stupid exam.  I couldn't care about the exam, and was a lot more excited by the fact that it was my first ever trip to that city.  All I remember from that trip was an important intersection in town called the Kempe Gowda Circle.  And the cinema hall where we watched Love Story was near this intersection.  Here is a song from that movie:


Did you catch something that sounds almost like an Abba tune in the beginning of the song, and throughout?  Oh well, the composer, R.D. Burman was notorious for mixing popular music from the West into his compositions.

No comments: