Monday, February 28, 2011

If only I didn't know about the harm from oil and natural gas ...

The morbid curiosity that has been a consistent and strong feature of who I am--right from when I was a kid--means that often I think life will be wonderful if only I were not curious. I wish for that blissful ignorance sometimes.  Those occasions when I think that Socrates was being hyperbolic about a life not examined.  That charlatan ought to have tried before he figured out anything--if only humans had Philip K. Dick's "precogs" who would have zoomed into Socrates' "precrimes."

Can't undo any damn thing, and I am stuck.  So are you, if you are reading this--the joke is on you now, isn't it!  Ha!!!  At least there are a few fellow travelers in this misery from knowing something.  Or, maybe that is the problem--knowing something about a lot, as opposed to knowing something only about a little bit.   

So, why all this you ask?  Watch this:



As always, the question this time of the year, when an academic term comes to a close which is when I discuss the environmental impacts of everything that we discuss throughout the term, well, the question is how much should I take my own emotions and pessimism to the classroom?  It can be so easy to become unhinged and rant like a bloody lunatic--after all, these are awfully important issues.  But then so are the events in Libya. In Pakistan. The veterans with PTSD in town. .... the list is endless.

There is only one way out of this--watch it:


In The Know: Are Tests Biased Against Students Who Don't Give A Shit?

Yes, laughter is the best, maybe the only, way out!

No comments: