Sunday, August 29, 2010

When I knew I am a mortal with an expiration date ...

I was about eight or nine years old, I think.  Dad was in the local hospital for a surgery, and I recall going there with my mother.  In the room adjacent to dad's was a young fellow, barely a year or two older than me, who, I was told, was rapidly nearing the end of his life because of "blood cancer."  A phrase that I would come across quite often in movies with a melodramatic tune in the background, and here was a kid like me who really had it. And was dying.

It scared the shit out of me--that I could die. Of blood cancer.  In a culture where nobody talked about anything openly, I had to deal with this scare by myself.  (My other big scare then: after watching a Godzilla movie, I trembled quite a few nights thinking that any moment those creatures would come get me!) 

Even now the kid, frozen in time in my memory, but whose face has completely faded out, is a reminder of how much we are cartons with expiration dates of our own. 

A few years later, in the middle of my teenage years, I was in the taxicab as we took grandma to the same hospital.  We had been through the drill a few times--her enlarged heart would every once in a while make it extremely difficult to breathe, which then required a couple of days of appropriate medication in the hospital.  But, this time, as we were driving--mom in the back with grandma and me in the front with the driver--grandma stopped breathing.  And that was it.

It was quite a revelation that death could happen that fast. 

Grandma's death anniversary is a couple of days away.  Some memories don't fade away, and I am thankful they don't.

No comments: