Thursday, June 17, 2010

That is smooth--well, no beard :)

Every few years, I begin to wonder how much difference my beard makes, and sooner or later I shave it off ... and within a matter of days I start growing the beard again because it is now so much a part of who I am ...

So, yes, that is where I am now ... but, I am doing it in stages ... I have only a mustache on for now ... looks hiiiillllarious :)

Come to think of it, if I had not left India, there is a fair chance that I would have retained my moustache (as it is spelt there) ...

I tell you, it doesn't take much to amuse myself ...

According to Shakespeare, the beard shows up in the fifth part we play in this world that is a stage:
And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part.
I have commented to students on quite a few occasions that Americans are mostly a tad suspicious of men with facial hair.  Thus, it is rare for a male politician or CEO to sport a beard, or even a mustache.  (Yes, that is yet another reason why the Oregon governor race is all the more interesting!)  The last bearded president we had, well, you know who that was :) 
To a large extent, men with facial hair then tend to be found more in higher education settings and in the public sector.  Yet, I am always surprised that quite a few male faculty do not have beards, and even more surprised when they say they have never ever even experimented growing one ...

Anyway, next step--removing the mustache too.  But, a post on that is at least a week-plus away ...

No comments: