Saturday, June 19, 2010

Remembrance of things past-9

Having left India in the second half of the 1980s, and not having kept up with popular culture since then means that, well, ....!  Life has been about creating entirely new sets of memories since then, and am all the better and wiser as a result.
Here is one of my many favorite film songs from years past; this one is by a classically trained singer, Vani Jayaram.  As with almost all the film songs that I still cherish, I have not watched the movies in which they were featured.  And, as with operas, I have no clue most of the time about what the words mean because all I had even then was a rudimentary understanding of Hindi, while the lyrics were poetry.  But, yes, no knowing what the words mean did not stop me from enjoying the music then--and even now, for instance, when I listen to Edith Piaff :)

No comments: