Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Keep teachers happy!

I did not say that; it is from Manusmriti--the Laws of Manu--which is about 2,000 to 2,500 years old.
Manu wrote:

तयोर्नित्यं प्रियं कुर्यात् आचार्यस्य च सर्वदा ।
तेष्वेव त्रिषु तुष्टेषु तपः सर्वं समाप्यते ॥
- मनुस्मृति
One must do all he can to keep his parents and teacher happy. If they are satisfied it is equivalent to any (all) penance.
- Manu Smriti
It was not this verse that I was searching for though.  I was trying to recall a Sanskrit verse about "five mothers" a person has and, well, I was at a loss.  So, I googled it, but was unsuccessful.  However, I landed at this site with a wonderful collection of verses along with their translations.  Spent some time there trying to read the originals in Sanskrit, and the thirty-plus years since my last Sanskrit class definitely showed :(

Anyway, the "five mothers" is, if I recall correctly (and I wish I could write it out in Sanskrit):
Gurupathni rajapthni jyeshtapathni thathaiva cha
pathnimaatha swamaatha cha panchai the maathara smrithaha
which translates to:
The guru's wife, the king's wife, along with the eldest brother's wife
Wife's mother, and own (birth) mother are to be treated as five mothers
I am all the more curious now whether listing the birth mother at the end was for poetic placement purposes, or whether the poet intended a hierarchy in such a listing.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sanskrit Pearls has put up the verse that you were looking for:

http://sanskritpearls.blogspot.com/2010/07/july-19th.html