Friday, June 13, 2008

To Swift-Boat or Not

The other day I was watching Michael Kinsley on C-Span and could not but think, yet again, that there is no way a Parkinson's will slow down this guy's quick-thinking brain. I do wish that he did not have to deal with Parkinson's this young at least. But, we have no control over those matters--at least, not yet.

I this column in TIME, Kinsley comments that: History shows that any candidate who relies on the voters to punish a swift-boater is going to be disappointed. People tell pollsters they are sick of nasty politics, then they respond to it every time."

I suppose for candidates it comes down to a variation of something like a prisoner's dilemma: what if the other candidate resorts to a Willie-Horton and I am caught unprepared? The presidency is after all too big a prize to let slip .... which is why candidates are often tempted to commit fouls that will impede the other candidate's success. Read my column on fouls to give.

No comments: